REAL ID does not go into effect until October 1, 2020.
Your current Illinois driver’s license or ID card (DL/ID) will be accepted at airports, military bases and secure federal facilities until Oct. 1, 2020. We are providing you with the choice either to obtain a REAL ID card or to keep a standard card. Take time to know your options.
To see what documents you need to apply for a REAL ID, visit the REAL ID Interactive Checklist.
All Driver Services facilities are issuing REAL IDs, with the exception of mobile units and express facilities (Diversey, Lockport, Orland Park, Rockford Auburn St., Roscoe, Washington and Wheaton).
You DO NOT NEED a REAL ID if:
- You have a valid U.S. passport or passport card; or
- You do not use airplanes as a mode of domestic transportation; or
- You do not visit military bases; or
- You do not visit secure federal facilities.
You NEED a REAL ID if:
- You do not have a valid U.S. passport or passport card; AND
- You use airplanes as a mode of domestic transportation; or
- You visit military bases; or
- You visit secure federal facilities.