This program is designed to allow senior citizens to defer payment of part or all of the property taxes on their homes. This program functions as a loan, with an annual interest rate of six percent. To qualify for this deferral, you must:
- Own the property, which must be used exclusively as a residence. Please note that joint ownership under this program is limited to you and your spouse.
- Have lived on this or another qualifying property for at least three years, except for periods in which you may have resided temporarily in a nursing or sheltered care home.
- Be age 65 or older by June 1 of the tax year.
- Have a maximum household income of $55,000.
- Owe no delinquent taxes on the property.
NOTE: The filing deadline for the program is March 1 of the tax year. Applications are available from the Lake County Treasurer – 360-6363